Adopting a dog and bringing them home to become a part of your family has been a prominent part of our way of life from thousands of years. The practice was first adopted by hunters and gatherers approximately 12,000 years ago. After the advent of agriculture, their role as companions became much more intensified. Man’s best friend is always there to guide him, love him and stand by him when everything else fails. Australia is said to have over 4.2 million pet dogs (RSPCA.org), which roughly translates to 19 dogs per 100 people.
What Care needs to be taken?
Dogs are carefree creatures, and its best to let them be who they are. But proper training can guarantee you peace of mind. These are some considerations:
- Dogs shed fur and oil from their body that could potentially lead to allergic reactions for your guests and a bad odour all around. You might not even notice the faint odours, but for guests, it would be the first thing they notice. Therefore, it is advisable to have one spot where your furry mate can relax and unwind, on top of a cushion or blanket. This makes the odour easy to contain and clean.
- Have specific spots where your dog has his/her food. It keeps crumbs and leftovers from spilling all over the house
- Potty training should be the first thing to do once you bring your pup in.
Smells can’t be avoided, but they can be controlled. Here is how:
- Their regular blanket and toys should be washed weekly for best results
- Create your own deodorisers by mixing the desired essence oil into a solution of water and rubbing alcohol. (water ½ cup, rubbing alcohol ¼ cup). This can only serve as a temporary measure. Deodorisers cannot possibly replace the need for thorough cleaning.
- Deep cleaning/shampooing and vacuuming carpets in the house are the best ways to avoid any odour build ups
- Instead of trying to use suction power to retrieve small pieces of fur, try using sticky objects like lint rollers to do the job.
For best and quick results, we recommend using the services of a professional carpet cleaner once in 6 months at least. This ensures a deep and thoroughly clean that can give you peace of mind for many months to come. Have a look at our packages or call us for a free quote.